Flinn Gallery of the Greenwich Library
The Flinn Gallery is a non-profit, education oriented exhibition space that presents art in all mediums from a wide range of periods, visions and techniques. The Art Committee sponsored by the Friends of the Greenwich Library runs the gallery by volunteers who curate and mount six exhibitions every year from September to June. For each exhibition, the Art Committee creates an invitation that is mailed to over 5,000 area residents. Also, each exhibit is extensively publicized locally and throughout the area in print and online.
In 1912 , Greenwich Society of Artists, a group of professional artists related to the Cos Cob Art Colony, started the original art gallery. During that time, Mr. Robert Moffat Bruce of the Bruce Museum, welcomed the artists to hold shows in his home. In 1928, the group established the gallery at the Greenwich Library on Greenwich Avenue. at the site of the defunct Woolworth’s and currently Sak’s 5th Avenue. During the years of WWII, the gallery was closed.