UNTITLED 17: SooVAC’s 17TH Annual Juried Show
Soo Visual Arts Center
Entry Deadline: Dec. 12
UNTITLED 17: SooVAC’s 17TH Annual Juried Show
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Monday, December 12th, 2022, at 11:59 pm.
SooVAC is now taking submissions for Untitled 17, one of our flagship exhibition series. SooVAC invites guest jurors with local, national, and international reputations to select work from open submissions. Untitled offers artists the opportunity to work with a professional art space and influential art figures toward producing an exhibition with a highly regarded reputation. We accept all mediums from artists at any stage in their careers. The work is selected from the submitted work samples, so make sure that the work is available for exhibition.
GUEST JUROR: Alejandra Peña Gutiérrez-Director of the Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota.
*One of the selected Untitled 17 artists will be invited to have a solo exhibition in SooVAC’s project space.
Start Your Submission
ABOUT THIS YEAR’S JUROR: Alejandra Peña Gutiérrez is a certified architect from the National Autonomous University of Mexico and has an art history master’s degree from the same University. She taught at the undergraduate level in various Mexican universities besides UNAM. Peña’s museum experience starts as Head Architect and Exhibits Installation at the San Carlos National Museum. Through the following years, she was also Associate Curator at the Modern Art Museum in Mexico City. Deputy Director and then Director of the Fine Arts Museum, also in Mexico.
In 2001 Peña was appointed Deputy Director General of the National Institute of Fine Arts (INBA) in Mexico. After that, she worked on developing the Center for Design, Cinema, and Television, where she oversaw the Academic Coordination and later directed the Continuing Education Program. In 2007 she became Executive Assistant to INBA’s General Director, and then Director of Cultural Promotion for the General Direction of Education and Cultural Collaboration of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. From 2009 to 2012, Peña was Deputy Director General of Artistic Heritage at INBA. During the second half of 2012, she moved to Puerto Rico to become the Deputy Director of the Ponce Art Museum, where she became Executive Director in 2013. In November 2021, Peña was appointed Director of the Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota.
Submission Deadline: Monday, December 12th, 2022, at 11:59 pm. The following dates may be subject to change:
ARTIST NOTIFICATIONS: Mid January
WORK DROP-OFF DATES: Feb 8-10, 2022 (Wed-Friday 11am-6pm)
Untitled 17 Exhibition Dates: February 18 – March 25, 2023
OPENING RECEPTION: Saturday, February 18, 2022, 6 pm – 9 pm
Exhibition Closes: Saturday, March 25, 2022.
WORK PICKUP: Sunday, March 26, 2022
We accept all submissions through Submittable with a $20 application fee; if the fee is a barrier, please contact [email protected] If you are a current member of SooVAC, please use the application for members with no cost; your SooVAC membership is annual, so please contact [email protected] to make sure it is up to date.
If you have any technical questions about uploading your submissions, contact Submittable; if you have any other questions, contact Amina at [email protected]
1. Application Form-Fill in all of your contact information on Submittable.
2. WORK SAMPLES-EXACTLY 5 IMAGES (FOR VIDEO SEE BELOW*) Group exhibitions or collaborative projects are also accepted, but the images cannot exceed 5. Digital Image Specifications: Images should be in a JPEG format no larger than 1000 x 1000 pixels @ 72 dpi. Format each jpeg file name as “Artist’s last name_Artist’s first name_1.jpg,” “Artist’s last name_ Artist’s first name_2.jpg,” etc. Each JPEG may not exceed 1MB and 1000 pixels in any direction. *Video Submissions are also accepted in .mov format, no larger than 200MB, and no more than 2 min clips for each video submission label the same as image files. Work samples cannot exceed five but can be a combination of video and image files.
3. IMAGE LIST- Fill out each Image description field with the following information: List the following information for each work (make sure your image number corresponds to the label on your JPEG images): -Title of work -Date completed -Medium -Dimensions (H” x W” x D”) PLEASE INCLUDE TITLE, MEDIUM, DIMENSIONS, AND DATE OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
4. ARTIST STATEMENT – doc, docx, txt, rtf, or pdf format accepted. Label this document: Artist’s last name_Artist’s first name_artiststatement.doc ex. Doe_Jane_Artiststatement.doc. No longer than 1 page.
5. RESUME doc, docx, txt, rtf, or pdf format accepted. Label this document: Artist’s last name_Artist’s first name_Resume.doc ex. Doe_Jane_Resume.doc. Please provide a website. If you are applying as a group or collaborative team, include all participating artists’ resumes in one document.
GOOD THINGS TO KNOW 1. Notification will be done by email or phone, so please include both on your application. 2. Paying for Shipping to and from SooVAC will be the artist’s responsibility.
CHECKLIST: The following must be submitted by Monday, December 12th, 2022, before Midnight.: ___Application Form (Fill Out all of your information on Submittable
___5 IMAGES OF YOUR ARTWORK-JPEG format (.jpg)
___IMAGE LIST (Fill out Description Fills for each corresponding image)
___RESUME (doc, docx, txt, rtf or pdf format accepted.).
___ARTIST STATEMENT 1 page (doc, docx, txt, rtf, or pdf format accepted). PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY; INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.