Serena G. Bates, born 1965, in Quonset, RI. From childhood, Bates had an inquisitive nature and keen interest in anything artistic. She was classically educated at the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts (CT) and the Rhode Island School of Design (RI). She studied sculpting with renowned sculptors Elizabeth Gordon Chandler, Laci deGerenday and Don Gale, as well as painting with painters Aaron Shikler, Dean Keller and Dan Gheno. Bates is an artist member of the Salmagundi Club (NY), the National Sculpture Society (NY), the Catherine Lorillard Wolf Art Club (NY), the New England Sculpture Society, the CT Academy of Fine Artists, the Mystic Art Center (CT) and a member of the Artists Cooperative Gallery of Westerly (RI).
Whether it be sculpting or painting, her work is primarily done in the field or with a live subject, where she feels her works are the result of “experience and keen observation”. Bates feels “you can’t breathe true life into your creations unless you have gotten to know your subjects on a personal and more intimate level.
She has won numerous awards at the Salmagundi Club in NY and throughout New England, and her work can be found in many private collections throughout the United States.
Representation & Affiliations
• Academic Artists Assoc., Springfield, MS• Artists’ Cooperative Gallery of Westerly,
• Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club, NY,NY
• Connecticut Academy of Fine Artists
• Connecticut Women Artists
• Society of CT Sculptors
• The Courtyard Gallery, Mystic, CT
• Lyme Art Association, Old Lyme, CT
• Mystic Arts Center, Mystic, CT
• National Sculpture Society, NY, NY
• New England Sculptors Society
• Salmagundi Club, NY, NY