PAID Opportunity: Los Angeles Electric Vehicle Awareness Campaign
Center for Sustainable Energy
Entry Deadline: Mar. 15
Artist Opportunity: Request for Proposal
The Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is interested in working with a local artist in Los Angeles county to design a car wrap in support of the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). The car wrap will be placed on 40-50 CVRP-eligible electric cars (various makes/models) owned and driven by Los Angeles county residents.
Project Description and Background:
Research from a variety of sources indicate that CA drivers are relatively unaware of electric vehicle (EV) availability and the benefits/incentives associated with the purchase/lease of one. This is despite the fact that there are over 650,000 EVs driving on CA roads right now.
While California is leading the nation in clean vehicle adoption with more EVs on its roadways than any other state, we still need to make significant investment in educating individuals about the value of driving clean. The shift away from gasoline and diesel brings many environmental and economic benefits, including less air pollution and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
CVRP promotes clean vehicle adoption by offering rebates of up to $7,000 for the purchase or lease of new, eligible zero-emission vehicles, including electric, plug-in hybrid electric and fuel cell vehicles.
The idea behind this car wrap project is that actual EVs provide the perfect “canvas” to inform people about their availability, associated benefits, and incentives to purchase. Los Angeles (and CA) drivers are surrounded by EVs every day; let’s make them aware of that!
The value that the local artist brings to this project cannot be overstated. The creation of a design that is genuine and impactful to the people of Los Angeles county is critical in enabling this campaign to stand out and resonate with the people we are intending to reach.
On a similar note, it is worth highlighting that this strategy of working with local artists for car wrap designs is being replicated for campaigns in other areas throughout CA (such as the campaign that was launched in Sacramento in 2019). Be a part of something BIG!
The target audience for this campaign are car owners and drivers in the Los Angeles area with the fewest barriers to EV adoption. Defining characteristics include home ownership, 2-car households, and limited range of daily driving (less than 100 miles/day).
The objective of this campaign is to increase awareness of EV availability and their associated benefits and incentives to purchase/lease in the Los Angeles (and greater Southern CA) area.
The budget available for the selected artist is $10,000, and is to cover all expenses related to the following tasks:
• Prepare 2-4 design concepts for review
• Upon review and selection of design concept, incorporate requested revisions (if any) and format selected design concept digitally for car wrap
• Work directly with the company applying the wrap to assure the digital files of the artwork are in accordance with their requirements
• Assist in providing content for campaign webpage and public relations materials (ex. provide quote and participate in photo shoot to be incorporated into press release)
This request for proposal is open to all artists that reside in Los Angeles county
A complete application must include all of the materials listed below:
• An artist resume with contact information and accomplishments
• An artist statement of interest (no more than 1,000 words) describing:
o Why the artist is interested in designing the car wrap
o Previous car wrap design experience (if any)
o The artist’s connection to or interest in the Los Angeles (and larger Southern CA) community
o How the artist believes the art will enhance Los Angeles county (and the larger Southern CA)
• At least 3 – and no more than 5 – work samples of previous projects that represent the artist’s capability and style
• A concept drawing showing the artist’s initial thoughts on their recommended car wrap design
Materials must be received by March 15, 2020.
Materials must be submitted by email to [email protected]
The car wrap design panel will evaluate submissions based on the following criteria:
• Professional qualifications, documented capability and experience to complete the project successfully in the required timeframe
• Artistic excellence, innovation, originality, and/or perspective
• Relevance to local community and CVRP program goals
• Artwork submitted is artist’s original, creative work – Proposals which contain imagery that is copyrighted by a different entity, stolen or copied from any other source will not be considered. Historic images/imagery may be incorporated if public domain or with permission for use.
• Application is submitted by the published deadline
Selected artist must maintain a general liability insurance policy with limits not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage liability, combined with a $2,000,000 annual policy aggregate. A “per project aggregate” endorsement is required. The policy must name (a)CSE and (b) the State of California, and each of its officers, agents, and employees as additional insured, but only with respect to work performed under this contract.