Gateways to Nature Exhibit for 2019
Entry Deadline: Nov. 2
Submission Deadline: November 2, 2018
Contact: Cricket Brien [email protected]
In 2019 Tyler Arboretum is celebrating its 75th anniversary as an Arboretum and will be hosting a major regional exhibit: Gateways to Nature. Tyler Arboretum is looking for creative exhibitors to design and build a structure or work that showcases their talents, and invites our broad regional audience to join us in discovering the natural world.
We invite you help us bring our theme of Gateways to Nature to life by creating portals, gateways and thresholds to new experiences on our extensive grounds! Your concept could be an entry to a secret place, a window to a stunning view, a threshold to a unique landscape room, an allee that leads to a special place, or other opportunities that inspire our visitors to engage with and appreciate the natural world at Tyler Arboretum.
Exhibitors work can be provided for sale, loaned to Tyler Arboretum for the duration of the exhibit, or with mutual agreement, donated to Tyler.
The Gateways to Nature exhibit will run from April through October, 2019, at Tyler Arboretum.
The exhibit is a juried competition, with final approval by Tyler Arboretum. All pieces will be selected based on the criteria outlined below. Anyone is welcome to submit a design (artists, artisans, craftsmen, architects, designers, builders, educational organizations, etc.). Collaboration between artists, designers and builders is encouraged.
• Exhibitors may receive reimbursement of up to $2000 to assist in fabrication and installation costs.
• Tyler will provide marketing support for the exhibit, including announcement of winners, press releases about the exhibit, and promotion through radio, web and social media. Gateways to Nature will open with an event to which each exhibitor may include their invitation list, along with a Tyler guest list.
• Tyler will create an exhibit webpage with links to exhibitors’ websites and contact information, as requested.
• Tyler will provide insurance for all works in the exhibit once exhibit materials are delivered on site, for the duration of the exhibit.
• Any and all sales of exhibitors’ work will be handled directly by the exhibitor, with a 25% commission to Tyler. Pieces purchased during the exhibit will remain at Tyler Arboretum for the duration of the exhibition. The exhibitor is solely responsible for delivery of the exhibit to the owner.
• All Exhibitors are responsible for the removal of their work at the end of the exhibit.
Submissions may include existing works, appropriate to the theme, or new works. All works, including those artists wishing to offer work for sale, must remain at Tyler for the duration of the exhibit.
Please submit the following by November 2, 2018, for consideration by the Jury. All winning exhibitors will be notified by November 20, 2018.
1. A rendering of the design concept.
2. A maximum one-page description of the Exhibit Concept
3. Maximum of three perspective sketches and/or a model measuring no more than
24” x 18” (model is optional).
4. Completed application form with requested information, including title of the exhibit.
5. A non-refundable application fee of $40 per design, payable via check to Tyler Arboretum.
Designs will be judged based on the following criteria (not in order of importance):
Relevance to Theme – ties in with the exhibit focus of Gateways to Nature.
Engagement with Visitors – creative, imaginative and fun. Provides a WOW moment of inspiration and awareness.
Accessibility – experience is accessible for children and adults of various ages and abilities. No steps required to access the experience.
Durability – able to withstand the outdoor environment and high traffic levels in a public garden for the duration of the exhibit.
Safety – structurally sound and able to withstand environmental stresses as well as the active engagement of visitors of all ages.
Executable – able to be installed within the two-week installation time frame by the exhibitor’s team, with limited help from Tyler staff and volunteers.
Flexibility – the ability to move the piece to an alternate location if necessary.
Construction and Installation Guidelines:
Please help us protect our tree collections, gardens and visitors by following these rules:
1. No permanent anchors or devices can be attached to our trees.
2. No nails or bolts can be used to attach things to trees.
3. Nothing can be applied or dug that may girdle the roots of trees.
4. Use of rope or cabling is allowed with the use of a protective sling, to be approved by Tyler Arboretum.
5. Any pruning of branches must be approved and performed by Tyler Arboretum.
6. Where footings are needed please identify strategies that allow them to be left in place without impact to the surrounding plants, or remove them following the exhibit. Use of footings must be reviewed and pre-approved by Tyler. Other strategies for stabilization should be explored.
7. No parking of heavy equipment over root zones to avoid compaction.
8. Pieces must arrive at Tyler ready to assemble and install.
9. It is the responsibility of the exhibitor(s) to arrange for the installation and removal of the piece(s) at Tyler Arboretum during the dates and times set.
10. Pieces must be installed in a secure manner to ensure the safety of visitors of all ages.
11. Pieces must be wind and weather resistant for the duration of the exhibit.
12. Exhibitors are responsible for repairs to their piece(s) for the duration of the exhibit.