Karosta Festival 2020
Jun. 14, 2020, 12:00 am
The second Karosta Festival will celebrate 30 years of of Latvian independence from Soviet Union, since Latvia declared restoration of independence in 1990, May 4. More on this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Restoration_of_Independence_of_the_Republic_of_Latvia)
See a recap of the first Karosta Festival here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4KrKbUBBik
Karosta Festival 2020 will take place from 8th till 14th of June.
We plan for the following artworks to be created during the Festival:
• 360⁰ painting of Karosta Prison cell (4 walls, floor and ceiling painted to created one work of art). Karosta Prison is visited by more than 25 000 people annually, the painted cell will become part of its permanent exposition. (http://karostascietums.lv/en/)
• Mural on the wall of the Coastal Artillery fort by the Baltic sea. The ruins of Karosta forts by the sea are spectacular, a fine example of the unchallenged force of nature and a favorite walking place for many. The creation of this mural will be complicated because of the environment, but in turn will give one of the best background images. (Areal video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hw-OZsero)
• Murals inside and outside the Redan fort. Redan fort is the location of main and final event of the Festival on June 14, when the works will be presented to the public.
• Sculpture or installation in Karosta Water tower. Karosta Water tower is an impressive structure in the middle of Karosta that is no longer serving its purpose. The Water tower sees more and more visitors every year who come to admire it.
• Live-painting and live-sculpting during the main events of the Festival.
• Live performances.
Artists having other original and unique ideas for the Karosta Festival are welcome to come forward with proposals!
Logistics: Hosts of the Festival will provide accommodation, catering, local transportation and work materials. For each artist part of travel expenses will be covered (maximum 100 EUR).
June 8 – arrival or artists
June 9 – Introduction to Liepāja, Karosta, hosts, organizers and the workplace.
June 9,10,11 – creation
June 12 – event in Karosta Prison. Presentation of 360⁰ cell painting, 2 panel discussions (Latvian), vintage market, live-painting or live-sculpting and performances, movie night.
June 13 – event in Karosta Water tower. Presentation of sculpture/installation, poetry group presentation (Latvian), live performers.
June 14 – final event in fort Redan. Presentation of all artwork, presentation of audio-video room (Liepāja University), poetry room (Latvian), jazz band, oldtimer moto parade, vintage, market, live performers.
Artists may arrive earlier, if they expect their work to take longer!
Schedule will change in details over time according to situation. Socializing throughout the week and attending local events can be expected!
All applications should include a description and visualization of the planned artwork!