Materia Prima – Juried Exhibition
Entry Deadline: May. 28
This Juried Call for Entry Exhibition is open to all artists currently residing in the Southeastern United States. Artists are invited to submit works in all media that explore the theme of MATERIALITY. ARTS Southeast is seeking work that considers materials in new or novel ways, that engages the senses and expands our understanding of media as material.
Materiality can infer many things – time, space, labor, the artist’s history, home and more. We are searching for artworks that introduce us to new ways of understanding and interacting with the world around us. In Materia Prima, the medium is the message.
Works in any medium will be considered for this exhibition.
Materia Prima will be on display in the Main Gallery at Sulfur Studios from July 7th – August 12th, 2023
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: May 28th, 2023 by 11:59 PM
SUBMISSION FEE: $35 for 3 images (ARTS Southeast Supporters pay only $25. Become a Supporter HERE)
ARTISTS NOTIFIED: May 31st, 2023
SELECTED WORKS RECEIVED BY GALLERY: June 10th – June 20th, 2023
This call is open to all artists in the Southeastern Region of the United States, this includes: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia.
• Size limitations: Work must be less than 72” tall and must fit through a standard doorway.
• Up to 3 works in any media may be submitted.
• Artwork submissions will be juried and artists will be notified of accepted works.
• A brief written description sharing your thoughts behind each piece (space provided in application) is highly encouraged. This may be used as wall text at the discretion of Sulfur Studios. Text containing multiple errors will not be considered.
• Work does not have to be for sale, however Sulfur Studios will handle all sales and retain a 40% commission on the retail price.
• Work may be listed on our sales website for the duration of the show. All work submitted must be accompanied by a web quality image for the web listing.
• Work may be in any medium. Fiber-art, sculpture, installation, video, new media and all non-traditional forms of art are encouraged. Work cannot be hung from the ceiling. Alternative presentations of 2-dimensional works are welcome, but work should be well presented, safe to display, and stable enough to hang on the wall for the duration of the exhibition. Framed pieces should arrive at the gallery wired and ready to hang, D-rings preferred. No sawtooth hangers may be used. Artwork should arrive at Sulfur Studios wrapped in paper, glassine, bubble wrap or other appropriate materials.
For more information please contact:
Samantha Mack – Gallery Assistant and Director of Public Relations
Email: [email protected]