Alexey von Schlippe Gallery of Art
Alexey von Schlippe Gallery of Art Celebrates 24 years!
The Alexey von Schlippe Gallery of Art was founded in 1992 at the University of Connecticut’s Avery Point Campus.
The Museum is located on the 2nd floor of the Branford House Mansion. This 19,000 square-foot granite Tudor mansion was built by Morton J.Plant at the turn of the century. The mansion itself is a treasury of carved, chased, sculpted, cast molded and inlaid works of European craftsmen in oak, mahogany, walnut, onyx, marble, sandstone, bronze, iron and plaster. The mansion, a registered property in the National Register of Historic Places, and has become the focal point of this seventy-three acre seaside campus.
The Gallery includes four separate but contiguous exhibition spaces, and is dedicated to the late Alexey von Schlippe (1915-1988), an innovative and accomplished painter of international reputation, and former professor of Art at The University of Connecticut’s Avery Point and Storrs Campuses. We regard his work, (on loan from the von Schlippe family), which comprises a large part of our collection, as a unique treasure.
Alexey von Schlippe (1915-1988), an innovative and accomplished painter of international reputation, and former Professor of Art at the University of Connecticut’s Avery Point campus.
The gallery features exhibitions of regional, national and international artists. The AvS Gallery of Art, offers significant exposure to artists from across the complete spectrum of artistic expression, including those doing innovative or unconventional work. The Gallery is also used as an educational tool for students on campus as well as people across the region.
Continuous programs are offered at the gallery including “Art Talks” by exhibiting artists and Poetry Readings. We believe this policy will afford the public access and exposure to an enhanced diversity of creative works of art, particularly by regional artists.
It is unfortunate but the University of Connecticut has chosen to eliminate the AvS Gallery of Art and it’s programming as of August 1st 2016. We are most grateful for all of the artists, patrons and students who have supported us so strongly throughout the past 24years.